Sunday, April 18, 2010

Will the real Catholic Church please stand up?

This has been a hard time to be a Catholic. I read the press about what is going down in the Vatican and wince on a weekly basis. However, I have know since I was a girl that the Church hierarachy has it all wrong. Wrong for excluding women from leadership roles, for thinking that the rigid and antidemocratic infallible papacy is a good idea. Being a part of a parish has taught me what the real Catholic Church is...it is about women leading our parishes in big ways (preaching) and small ones like keeping the altars decorated. About all the amazing grassroots justice work done by the Church to help the marginalized and poor. That to me is the real Church, and I gotta hold on to it...come what may.

I love this article which really highlights what the real Church is all about...

Amen.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/18/opinion/18kristof.html?src=me&ref=general

No comments:

Post a Comment