Thursday, November 25, 2010

Ode to Latinoamerica

Calle 13 is my new favorite band. They are witty, political, sometimes raunchy, often funny, and the music rocks the house down (up and side ways too).

I've traveled from Juarez to Chile and almost every country in between (me falta Colombia y las Guyanas solamente)...so I love a band that tips their hat to the richness, unity and diversity in one song. Reggaeton, cumbia, cancion de protesta...they cover a lot of ground. This song's expansive beauty...the sounds and the words...gives me chills, just like the beloved tierra donde vivimos. I had the honor of visiting Susana Baca at her home in Lima...she's one of the voices that gives me chills in the chorus.

I've got to see their documentary about their travels through the Americas....

No comments:

Post a Comment