Sunday, October 17, 2010

I do care a fig!

We are getting ready to take out a very sad dogwood tree in the front yard and replace it with a fig tree.  I learned that I love figs and want to be able to harvest them, rather than pay an arm and leg at the New Seasons. 

So now I'm on a mission to learn all about fig trees, so that I pick the right variety and treat it right (the poor dogwood was at the mercy of a clueless first time tree owner).  After taking a single pruning workshop I went at it with a saw, and I don't think it ever fully recovered from that butchering.  I promise never to do that again.  I will leave the tree pruning to the experts. 

Here is a link to a fig monograph (fancy word for a book, ok).  Desert king is recommended from an initial Google search.  Stay tuned for more fig wisdom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment