Sunday, October 17, 2010

Movie recommendations

I love movies. The older I get the more picky I get, which means that the recommendations I make on this blog should be taken very seriously. I am getting older every day (so, might I add, are you).  These are gems worth seeking out. You will have to hunt them down like the treasures they are.

So my 2 favorites right now are Fados by Carlos Saura and La leyenda de la nahuala, an animated scary one for kids rooted in Mexican legends and culture (but full of adult funny lines that you are only going to appreciate if you are a Spanish speaker, sorry). Gladys ADORED this movie, and we have watched it 3 times in 2 days at our house. Score.

Since I've been immersing myself in Portuguese culture these past few months, Fados is the ultimate. It's full of this dizzying mix of singers (some who aren't Portuguese, hello Lila Downs!) singing fados of all flavors, with beautiful choreography thrown in. Lila and Mariza sing my 2 favorite songs on there, but the whole movie is full of beautiful voices and songs. I watched it before I went, and then when I came back.

No comments:

Post a Comment