Saturday, February 27, 2010

Gardening is educational

Today Deb and I "crashed" a free gardening workshop with Glen Andersen that was "full." We learned all about pruning grapes and blueberries, plus a lot more...about bees (they need water nearby), cherry trees, etc. The fun part was a tour of Glen's city garden....with 40 fruit trees, many bee hives (not a good place if you don't like bees), and a deck that could be...um...fixed up. He kindly gave us all bits of grape vine to start our own grape plant (yes, I took two, and I have visions of grapes hanging off the arbor in the patio). They are both planted.

Oh, I now know I should remove all buds and fruit from my baby blueberry bushes this year. Gulp.

Glen is super smart about plants, thrifty, generous, funny, and helped remove the yellow jackets from my own garden (I will be forever grateful).

Don't miss getting to know and learn from him.

He works for Metro and does lots of local workshops on gardening....plus has a radio show on KBOO.

No comments:

Post a Comment