Sunday, August 2, 2009

Basil

One of the challenges and fun parts of a veg garden is creatively figuring out ways to use the abundant harvest. I've learned how to make a delicious cabbage salad, and now I'm learning new and easy ways to use up the basil and other herbs in the garden.

Trust English celebrity chef Jamie Oliver to provide some inspiration for an easy summer pasta dish, which I modified to our tastes (add chile flakes and chicken sausage) and diets (brown rice pasta).

It's all about healthy, fast, and delicious. This meets those criteria.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pasta-recipes/simple-summer-spaghetti

Since I didn't have cherry tomatoes on hand I roasted a few Roma tomatoes and chopped them up. We do have a beautiful cherry tomato plant that is full of fruit, so in a few weeks I will be able to serve this up a bit more "correctly." I only have the traditional Basil in the garden, because that is what Debbie grows and gives away....I have 2 marjoram plants, plus 6 basils...so I'm swimming in herbs (local readers can come by for basil).

The verdict from Fede is a big thumbs up.

1 comment:

  1. Your Grandma, Rita, would be so proud of you and your cooking w/all the spices from your garden!!!

    ReplyDelete