Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Herbalist in training


One of my summer garden projects is harvesting the garden bounty for future teas and potions. I've been drying lavender, roses and other herbs in the closet. I've also been "garbling" which means to take those dried herbs and crumble them up for storage. Above is some of the "garbled" harvest - rose petals, calendula and lavender.

With nice repurposed glass jars full of my own herbs, I've also made bath powder and salts that feature ground-up herbs. Both are far more yummy, fresh and organic that anything you could ever buy, and affordable. I sent my mom a jar of homemade powder, and I'm thinking that I could make some baby powder too. The possibilities are endless.

My next experiment is making a vinegar hair rinse with infused apple cider vinegar that is out baking outside in the sun and moonshine. I bought some once online, and it was pricey. I loved how clean it made my hair feel, and the stuff is so very cheap to make. I'm infusing the vinegar with chamomile, rosemary and calendula.

Future bath salts will be ones designed for colds (using rosemary and sage dried and ground up), since that season will be coming sooner than you realize. I made some last year, and Fede really got better quicker after one of my special baths with sage in it.

Once I've garbled all the mints that are drying I will be making some tea blends to store away for the winter.

So many things to make!

No comments:

Post a Comment