Friday, December 26, 2008

Gluten-free in Portland

Well, in my continuing saga of surgical recovery I thought I should share a few things about food and the art of healing. My doctor suggested I follow an anti-inflammatory diet, which is essential the antithesis of what your average American eats. No wheat, no fried foods, no dairy, no peanuts, no sugar, organic meat in small amounts, etc. etc. I've done a somewhat good job of sticking to this way of eating, with a couple of lapses (it is Christmas!). I've said good-bye to my beloved wheat bread and now eat brown rice bread. Sugar is always the hardest thing to eliminate, but with a gallon of agave syrup we are doing pretty good. I do miss cheese, and I have not found any decent vegetarian replacement for the real thing.

However, wheat - you have met your match! The one major area of discovery has been the realm of gluten-free foods and diets. First I read the blog of the Gluten Free Girl and got her book (highly recommend it). Nanci and Yves brought over some great gluten-free brownies last night, and they were as yummy as any I've eaten.

Portland is a hot-bed of healthy eating options, and I came upon this listing of gluten-free and vegan bakeries. I've already explored the delights of Sweetpea Bakery, and you will never believe their stuff doesn't have eggs or milk. Nanci raves about New Cascadia. Once I'm mobile again I will start exploring the others. Maybe I'll do some kind of walking tour, so I can burn off the calories that will be consumed? Here are the ones I'm going to visit....

Dovetail Bakery: Special-order vegan holiday pies and tarts, including chocolate tart with salted candied pistachios, $20; double crust pear and cranberry pie, $20; apple and pine nut tarte tatin, $15; traditional pumpkin pie, $15. Pick up or delivery available within Portland ($6 for home delivery); call 503-288-8839 to order; dovetailbakery.blogspot.com

Black Sheep Bakery: This vegan bakery offers a variety of baked goods and wedding cakes year-round, but seasonal treats include apple-pear pie, pumpkin custard pie and hazelnut-chocolate-cream tart; $14.95 each. 523 N.E. 19th Ave.; 503-517-5762; and 833 S.W. Main St., 503-473-8534; blacksheepbakery.com

New Cascadia Traditional: In addition to the year-round selection of cookies, brownies and mini cupcakes, this gluten-free bakery makes seasonal items such as orange-currant loaf, chocolate-cranberry bread, coffee cake, apricot-cranberry tart, holiday cakes and gift sets. Prices vary. 2120 N.W. Glisan St.; 503-887-4392; newcascadiatraditional.com

Piece of Cake: Wide assortment of vegan, wheat-free vegan, gluten-free and sugar-free cakes, cookies and desserts. Any of the bakery's desserts can be ordered with holiday decorations. Selections include gluten-free lemon-pineapple-ginger cake, vegan carrot loaf and vegan wheat-free double-fudge chocolate cake. Prices vary. 8306 S.E. 17th Ave., 503-234-9445; pieceofcakebakery.net

http://www.oregonlive.com/foodday/index.ssf/2008/12/glutenfree_or_vegan_treats_let.html

No comments:

Post a Comment