Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Woo-woo healing or guided imagery

Ok, I should not call it woo-woo. It's research-based fact that using guided imagery helps people relax and heal faster.

It's funny, but most doctors pretty much focus on the task at hand, including my surgeon. Fixing the foot. They do not worry themselves about their patient's mental state or how that will impact the outcome of the surgery and recovery much. Which is too bad. Because it sure does.

I was doing fine with my decision to get surgery until a week before the Day, and then I quietly freaked out. I couldn't imagine voluntarily letting someone cut open my foot, cut my bones, move around ligaments and tendons. Was I crazy? How on earth do people voluntarily undergo surgery that is not for some life-threatening condition? I had visions of freaking out in the hospital and the nurses having to strap me down/scold me into submission. I also had this vision that my no-nonense surgeon would be disgusted by such a display of emotion/fear and call the whole thing off.

Fortunately I had already anticipated this and had put a couple of CDs on guided imagery on hold. They arrived the week before the surgery. Just in the nick of time. Ha, ha.

Seriously, the CDs share info on all the research about the benefits of guided imagery for healing. They also have 25 minute sessions where you relax and use your mind to imagine healing and relaxing imagery. It was amazing to see how much better I felt after just one session. You feel empowered and in control of one of your most powerful organs - your brain. I did it daily right up until the Day. In fact I was clutching my CD player right into the OR, and bless the doctors they let me take it in with me. I insisted. However with that IV sedation I don't remember the CD or anything else. I just remember them strapping onto a very narrow table and thinking, but guys, I'm calm and ready. No freaking out for me!

I'm doing it now, post-surgery, and I'm falling asleep before the end of the session. Which is a nice thing when my foot is hurting. The power of your mind is an amazing thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment