Saturday, December 13, 2008

Sleepy Saturday



Here is close-up of some flowers that were sent by my staff and arrived yesterday. My favorite color! Friday evening Gladys arrived, bringing with her all the craziness and joy that a 9 year old brings to any home. She has lots of questions about my foot - what did the doctor do to it and why? Why am I wearing the (surgical) shoe all the time? What does it/the pain feel like? It is always an eye-opening experience trying to explain something to a child that doesn't insult her intelligence, but doesn't get so overly technical or scary or overwhelm her with too many details. She threw out a great start for describing the pain. Is it like when your foot falls asleep and then when it wakes up? I was like, yeah, but worse, and it doesn't really stop.

For our bedtime story we read a sweet Christmas-themed book called "Angela and the Baby Jesus." Totally dear story written by the man who wrote "Angela's Ashes." I think it is the same Angela, but I haven't read that other book. I tend to resist reading books everyone else is reading or raving about until years after.

We made some great from-scratch pumpkin muffins with some pumpkins that grew in our garden (thanks to Debbie, who donated the start way back in the summer). We got about 6 lovely pumpkins from that little plant, which overtook a whole bed (or tried to) and then succumbed to powderly mildew and my overly agressive pruning efforts in the fall. Our chile plant is still happily in that bed, with a slew of chiles still to harvest. I like to harvest them red and hot, and by some miracle we haven't had a hard frost to kill it. Thank you Merciful One!

This was Federico's first attempt at baking, and so I sat in a chair and guided, coached and demonstrated. He did a great job, and the muffins are fabulous. Besides fresh pumpkin, they've got pecans and raisins. He is really a great cook, and boy, I am reaping the benefits of his skills right now. He also make a scrumpious pumpkin hummus. Mental note to grow another plant next spring.

They went off to a library program on making beaded jewelry right now (and to pick up my holds), so the house is quiet. I might take a nap, but Lord I don't know why I am tired?!? All I do is read, talk on the phone, Internet stuff, and eat. I am the total couch potato.


Here is the recipe for Spicy Pumpkin Hummus:

1 can of garbanzo beans with liquid
1-2 cups of fresh pumpkin puree or 1 can of the stuff
1 to 2 T. of tahini
lemon juice to taste
1 clove of garlic
salt to taste
olive oil to taste
cayenne pepper to taste
Smoked Spanish paprika as garnish

Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend until creamy (add bean water or plain water to get the right consistency). Add as much cayenne as you can handle.

Serve with warmed pita bread, veggies, just with a spoon or your fingers (okay, so that is a no-no, but we all do it, right?)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Rita this is cool!
    And no way your chiles have grown, that is so yummy haha i put hot sauce on everything nowadays.
    Wow, i forgot how old Gladys is shes the age i was when we first met, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were 10 when we met, so she's almost there. Amazing how time flies.

    I put hot sauce on everything too.

    Hugs to you

    ReplyDelete