Thursday, December 11, 2008

Welcome to my blog

With my foot healing from bunion surgery and a lot of time on my hands, I thought this is the opportunity to create a blog and keep friends and family updated about what I'm doing, thinking, reading....and also hear from you. I can share photos of my garden, favorite recipes, pixs from my journeys, etc. etc. Possibilities seem endless....

This lovely beach scene is from Manuel Antonio beach in Costa Rica. I was there over 13 years ago, and the image stuck in my head. It is even more beautiful than this photo can pull off....the mountain of trees meets the ocean. I remember floating in the warm bath-like water with my girlfriend Vicky thinking -- this was the most perfect union of two things - mountain and sea. I was doing guided imagery to get ready for my surgery, and you are supposed to think of a healing place that makes you feel happy/safe. This was the image I had in my head. It helped me chill out when I got the pre-surgery jitters.

Today was a good day. Father Chuck came by to give me Holy Communion in bed, which is yet another first. The surgery is just the start, I guess. My next door neighbor came over with a beautiful plant and homemade cookies. We've never been on great terms, and she said she wanted to be a better neighbor this coming year, and this was her start. I was kind of left speechless and all I could say was - you are very kind, thank you. Humbled by her gesture.

I've been listening to the band Jars of Clay's album "Redemption Songs," which is just beautiful and fitting for the season.



"The only way out is through." That is quote from Albert Camus that I came across today.

I think that quote really captures 2008 for me.

Through.

1 comment: