Saturday, September 5, 2009

Fall planting journal

So every gardener is supposed to keep a journal, tracking planting dates, bloom times, frost dates, etc. I view this blog as part garden journal, and in that spirit, today I planted our winter garden, inspired by that fall/winter gardening class I took back in the waning days of summer.

In the former garlic patch (which was previously the pumpkin patch), I've sown a bunch of beet seeds. The variety is "Early Wonder", which takes 55 days until harvest. That is roughly around the Day of Dead, which is when I plan to be in Oaxaca. I guess I will harvest when I come home. I cannot have enough beets in this house!

I also planted Romaine Lettuce, under the maple tree and as an edging near the garage entrance. It takes 78 days for maturity, which is a longg time...mid to late November. I really need more lettuce in the house. So in that spirit I got a lettuce mix from Uprising seeds, also near the tree and tucked in near the sage plant's edge.

The chard is producing prolifically, so no need for more chard. Collards, well, they are HUGE. If we eat collards everyday until Christmas we could not eat them all. They make a lovely edge to the border, so they are just fine biding time until we eat them.

I would like to plant more kale and some spinach. I've not had good luck with spinach from seed.

Yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment