Thursday, September 10, 2009

What I'm reading

I've been exploring Buddhism, dipping into books. I've just started a wonderful book "Anger" by Vietnamese monk Thich Nant Hahn. As someone who struggles with moments of fierce anger, I find this approach of compassion towards oneself as fascinating and tough.

What I'm loving about this book is the way the author uses the metaphor of gardening. Anger is like kitchen scraps that you can turn into compost to enrich the garden....it is not bad, but needs to be used appropriately to enrich and enlighten our lives.

He taps into the need to have awareness and mindfulness about the daily things in our lives...eating, for example. That is an area I struggle with, always moving in a rush through a meal. Hahn talks about taking 50 bites of food to really really savor and mindfully eat. 50 BITES.

No comments:

Post a Comment