Saturday, January 30, 2010

Bel canto

Isn't that a lovely turn of phrase?

Well, I'm reading (or listening) to this book right now and thoroughly enjoying it. A novel with a terrorist group taking hostages, an opera singer, a young priest, a Japanese businessman. A cast of very interesting characters and building drama as their captivity goes on. I'm not big on opera, but it is such a part of the story that I picked up an opera DVD of Maria Callas to put me in the right musical mood. I definitely think that some books have soundtracks. This one's is operatic. The author is Ann Patchett, in case you want to go out and find it. I like her style, her voice.

I spent the morning in the garden with Debbie putting down compost, weeding and general Preparation for Spring. There are so many bulbs coming up. Tulips galore, daffs, etc. Very wonderful to see. Also got some shrubs out to put in....drum roll please. Blueberries! I've decided that I'm going to turn more and more of the landscaping into edibles (or flowers, as you can never have too many flowers). Why have a row of bushes that produce nothing more than leaves when you could have juicy berries too? I've been reading about blueberries and what they need to thrive. Full sun, good drainage, rich composty soil, water in the dry summer. I'll have to take a shot of before and after. Very exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment