Thursday, January 7, 2010

What I'm reading and watching

I just started another novel - Netherland. I chose it because I read somewhere that President Obama was reading it. So far, I'm not loving it. Not the characters, not the writing style. Not enough passion or drama, perhaps. Coming off Tudor intrigue is hard to match. A nice but dull European financier in a mid-life crisis, set in post 9/11 NYC. I'm going to give it some time though. Books deserve some time to pull you in.

I'm watching a very compelling documentary Un poquito de verdad about the uprising in Oaxaca and the way people took over radio and TV stations to communicate their stories and reality when the mainstream media was distorting and not covering their stories. Powerful stuff. Real. I love how one woman said that once she saw real women broadcast news on a TV station that was taken over she stopped watching the soap operas and other crap. Amen sister.




Que viva Oaxaca y la libertad de expresion!

No comments:

Post a Comment