Sunday, January 24, 2010

Talking to God

I'm sure nearly everyone on the planet has their own complicated relationship with God. Over the past few years I've been rediscovering a real relationship (an adult one), and like any relationship, it is not easy. I've been angry, disappointed, and confused at times (those were the low points), with the high points filled with gratitude and love. Yoga, some books (The Shack comes to mind) the altar, the garden...all these things help bring God into the daily mix of things.

My latest discovery has been the rosary. Really. I can't believe it myself, as someone who hadn't done it in years (maybe 35?) and just remembered it as being some really rote mindless boring Catholic ritual that my abuelita did (do you think I could have had a more negative attitude?). I had to relearn some of it (what are the mysteries?...sounds so....mysterious), and now, at the delightful age of 44 I get it (or am starting to get it). It is comforting and meditative. I like it more than I thought I would.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rita, I haven't heard Caraluna since I left Peru! Great dance tune--ah, dancing with my Peruvian friends! What a great memory.

    I'm so glad God is in charge and understands the ups and downs of my relationship with God because I often don't. There is something very special about repetition--it takes you to a different place. Sometimes I sing a simple praise hymn all day in my head and it reminds me that I am only here by God's grace. Day By Day is a good one.
    dragonkeepersmom

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rosary can be like an old friend. Your Grandmother prayed the rosary every day for your Dad when he was sick and continued to pray the rosary for him even when he got well. Did you know the Luminous Mysteries have been added?

    ReplyDelete