Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Netherland - an update

I'm winding down this audio book, and the verdict is that the book is ok. I think it is that I have yet to be really compelled by the characters, and somehow the author doesn't take me deep enough. I think it is because the narrator seems to live that way, and there is something sad about him..and boring.

I do think the reader does a marvelous job with all the accents, and reading about Trinidad brings back many happy memories of my Carnival there. Gosh that was fun and so totally unique to a part of a band, dress up in little more than a bathing suit and face glitter, parading through the streets with hundreds of others. With a lot of great music. I also like reading a novel so contemporary that it mentions actual current events, like the Iraq war.

Would I recommend it? Probably not, just because I'm not passionately in love with it. Unless you really want to read a novel about post 9/11 NYC, are into cricket or West Indian immigrant stories filtered through the eyes of a Dutch banker...then I think you'd want to read this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment