Thursday, March 19, 2009

Relearning history

It took me until my 20s until my eyes became slowly opened to different stories and versions of the histories I had been taught and what I saw played out in popular culture. It was like being blind and then seeing the harshest and brightest sunlight.

I "discovered" Bartolome de las Casas in that time, and I still cannot read or hear these accounts without filling a mixture of great sadness and anger, mixed together. After all I am the mixture of Spanish, Indian and African blood. It is easy to demonize people, unless you carry their blood. Then it gets more complicated. More tragic.

Here is the amazing Viggo reading in Spanish and English from Howard Zinn's book, A People's History of the United States. I find the laughter and applause of the audience bizzare and inappropriate, but it is otherwise powerful and well-done.

2 comments:

  1. i am also am experiencing a similar enlightening feeling in my 20's.
    about the countless events that took place before and during the Civil RIghts movement; the injustices in Latin america; me and my sister visited a L'arche home which reminded me of the mentally disabled and how valuable they are; and I stayed with the Little Sisters of the Poor last weekend for the retreat I told u about and there I spent time with some elderly residents the sisters take care of and it moved me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to volunteer at a nursing home run by the Little Sisters of the Poor a while ago, before I started mentoring you. Isn't that incredible? The nursing home is on the CU campus, on Harwood (I think that is the spelling).

    ReplyDelete