Friday, March 20, 2009

Wrapping up my visit home




Yesterday was a lovely mellow day, starting at the Ventana Canyon Lakeside Spa. I got the blue corn body treatment, which was really yummy. My whole body was as smooth and silky as a baby's, at least until Ana and I went swimming that evening. Mom got a mani/pedi, and Ana got a massage (their early Mother's Day gifts!). We definitely want to go back again....great service, and you have the run of the fitness center and pool as spa visitors. Nice.

Today Ana and I hiked up Sabino Canyon (about 2.5 miles RT), and my foot pretty much hurt the whole time. It was a pretty fair incline, but still, I didn't like the pain one bit. Sabino is one of my favorite places, and it never disappoints. We saw a deer and lots of birds.

Later on we went for a swim at the Y (in the 75 degree sunshine), and then picked up Mom and Dad for a fantastic lunch at Cafe Poca Cosa, one of my favorite Mexican restaurants. Their menu changes daily on their chalkboard (photo above), and Ana got the best dish by far - the vegetarian pastel de elote with a creamy carrot sauce with curry. Wow. (see the photo) We shared some amazing Mexican chocolate mousse desserts....another wow. My pastel de pollo was ok, but nothing to write home about. A rarity. Dad got a fish machaca that we enjoyed, and Mom got a fideo soup that she loved. At least I burned some serious calories earlier in the day!

We then headed to the Fourth Avenue Street Fair, which I've not been to in YEARS. It was nice to see all the bustling vendors. I got some cute Day of the Dead earrings and a few gifts.

We wrapped it up by stopping by the Gardens of Gesethame, a sculpture park near the freeway. It is a fitting place to visit during Lent....see the photo for the life size Last Supper.

3 comments:

  1. wow, sounds like a lovely time.
    the food looks good too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a great time, Ree!
    Thanks for the spa treatment and the wonderful company... It was so fun to hang and relax with you!
    Can't wait to see you in May!!! =]
    ~A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mija,
    I love your blog!!! Don't read it every day, but when I do, I feel you so close.
    Thank you so much for the early Mother's Day gift. Now that we know we can use all the services of the spa when we get any kind of service, we will make sure to spend the entire day there. I am looking forward to relaxing by the pool.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete