Saturday, July 11, 2009

Chickadee update

Our little pair of lovebirds continues to flutter daily to their backyard home. I guess our existence hasn't deterred them from the desire to nest...because we hang out clothes only a few feet from the birdhouse. Between the laundry and emptying the compost bin they must be really accustomed to us by now. I recognize their birdsong whenever I'm outside, as they start chirping as they approach the patio area. Are they warning us to get away? They flutter, perch, and slowly get closer and closer. They are battling the push-pull of the deep genetic need to nest vs. the equally strong pull to stay away from very large animals that might hurt them.


I get to watch them fly in and out almost daily, always together and perching on the clothesline. It's a rest stop.


I find the whole thing very sweet, and I keep waiting for their babies to appear.

No comments:

Post a Comment