Thursday, July 16, 2009

Garden harvest

Yves and I took a winter gardening class yesterday through the City of Portland's Sustainability Office. The teachers run a community supported agriculture farm, but with a twist. They farm people's city yard gardens and teach. I learned ALOT and now know I've got a 2 week window of opportunity to get my crop in the ground for fall eating. One of the teachers diagnosed all my veggie maladies just by my descriptions. Amazing.

This morning I harvested swiss chard and threw away all the leaves infected by leaf minor, a bug that eats on the leaves. I also harvested a massive head of cabbage, which was an accident. I meant to buy brussel sprouts, and they must have mislabed the starts. Oh well. I get to try out a new recipe. I'm not the hugest cabbage lover, unless someone else is doing the chopping. For dinner I prepared the chard with a head of fresh garlic from the garden, some olive oil and salt. Wow. Amazingly tasty, fast, fresh and healthy. Combined with some pumpkin hummus, pita and raspberries from Debbie's garden. Vegetarian, super local and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment