Thursday, July 23, 2009

Summer harvest continued

So I've got 2 beautiful red cabbages harvested and discovered an easy Asian cabbage salad on the Internet to help use it all up. It's greens everyday in everyway in this house.

I've also harvested a lot of collard greens, because I planted ALOT of collards, a veg that I love. Ok, so not many Latinas grow up with collards, and I definitely was introduced to them as an adult while working in DC. In fact the Rayburn cafeteria served up Southern dishes like greens and grits, which I loved. I also loved eating at Vidalia and Georgia Browns, so I came to appreciate Southern cooking, especially the way vegetables are prepared (that and the cornbread!!).

I invented a fabulous new way to prepare collards in an effort to cook as much as possible, yet liberate myself from standing over the stove. I chopped up collards, a bit of onion and fresh home grown garlic, a splash of apple cider vinegar, sprinkle of chile flakes, agave syrup, and a big ham hock. Throw it all in a crock pot with some water and salt. Let it slow cook for 8 hours. Then you've got meltingly tender and flavorful greens that required no stirring, no monitoring, nothing.

I heart crock pots.

No comments:

Post a Comment