Monday, July 27, 2009

Fruits of the garden




Gladys and I learned to make a garlic braid yesterday, which was a nice way to get the garlic out of the garage, decorate the kitchen and make the garlic accessible to the cooks. It was pretty easy, thanks to the step by step video on Gardennerd. I'm imaging how many braids I can make after the monster garlic planting I anticipate this fall. Gifts anyone?

This morning I harvested our first zucchini (bought from the Astoria market, heirloom Italian variety) and eggplant. We are eating collards and cabbage out of our ears, so this will add some welcome and needed variety.
We are in the middle of a heat wave right now, so I'm up early watering all the plants...so they can cope with the high temps, plus line drying our laundry. Moments like these have me dreaming of a drip irrigation system. However I would miss out on the lovely birds and cool morning air (and seeing what is blooming, what needs some TLC, etc.). Scratch that.

1 comment:

  1. The garlic braid looks lovely. I think Dad would love one, though he insists in putting garlic in the freezer!!!
    I am too lazy to line dry - done that, been there. I remember when we moved to Tucson and we had no dryer. The weatherman (Michael Goodrich) said 10% showers so we hung up lines & lines of clothes. It rained for 3 days straight, so we finally took all the clothes down & went into town & used a laundramat!!!!

    ReplyDelete