Friday, July 3, 2009

Summer's bounty

The sweet gentleman and admirer of my garden came by to offer some fresh cherries from his niece's orchard a couple of days ago. I offered him fresh rainbow chard. We've been enjoying the cherries chilled from the fridge, and what amazing sweetness...both the fruit and gesture. Today I went to help my "garlic" girlfriend weed her community garden plot, to return the favor of her helping me harvest garlic and teach me what she knows....

I'm finding that gardening is this lovely cycle of giving, receiving, and sharing.

A new book that I just got from the library (that I first spotted at the food coop) promises to shed more light on this adventure: "Food not lawns: how to turn your yard into a garden and your neighborhood into a community."

I think I'm well on my way.

1 comment:

  1. Your garden is opening lots of friendships!!!

    ReplyDelete