Monday, May 18, 2009

DC visit

I had a whirlwind and fantastic visit to DC to see friends and enjoy the city for a few days. I can't say enough about my wonderful friends, whether it was picking me up at the airport late at night, meeting me early for breakfast and just plain accomodating my full schedule and short time in town. It felt like 2 years hadn't passed at all.

Had a chance to go to Eastern Market with Shirley for breakfast one morning. It is a beautiful old market that has stalls with local artists and veggies. I ate my first heirloom in season tomatoes years ago and still can remember how amazing that was....that was about 20 years ago!

Cindy and I walked the lovely C&O towpath in Georgetown and went out for an amazing Ethiopian meal at our favorite restaurant Dukem. It is the fasting season, so we ordered the special plate of vegetarian dishes that had about 14 different vegetarian dishes. Luckily we were hungry.

Jose and I took a long walk around Hains Point, catching up and then having breakfast at Whole Foods. Our weekend ritual that we both miss a whole lot.

Folger Shakespeare Library and garden, the beautifully remodeled Botanical Gardens, and the Museum of African Art exhibit on water goddesses. Culture.

I love the rich cultural life that DC offers, but I have to say that the pace, dirt, and crowds hold zero appeal. I really love and miss friendly and laid-back Portland.

No comments:

Post a Comment