Friday, May 8, 2009

What I'm reading

Growing up in Tucson, I had the pleasure of seeing Barbara Kingsolver emerge as a writer and become Famous. I remember reading the "Bean Trees" and getting her to sign my book at Antigone bookstore on 4th Avenue. Of hearing speak at cultural/political events that I attended at the U related to Latin America and human rights...how funny, smart and compassionate she was.

True to both her Kentucky smarts and sense of humor, this book is a family memoir of gardening and getting "back to the land." I'm enjoying the audio-book, which she reads, along with bits read by her husband and daughter. Her familiar voice is a delight as a reader, but I already knew that....

Hearing her talk about "city people" who don't know where that a carrot is a root, or about kids that are repulsed that vegetables touch dirt makes me wince and smile at the same time. I have watched Gladys shift from squealing horror at worms to gratitude and a sense of stewardship, moving them around the garden beds as we dig. I think that gardening should be a mandatory activity for all school children, especially those in the city. That is why the First Lady's kitchen garden is so awesome in calling attention to gardening and kids. It has certainly given me a profound appreciation for the work of farmers and for my grandparents and great-grandparents...farmers all.

1 comment:

  1. How well I remember Barbara Kingsolver. She moved to Kentucky so she could be near her parents as they grow older and for her children to know their grandparents. I remember going w/you to the U of A to listen to her talks. She was so young & nervous. I have not read her newest book yet.

    ReplyDelete