Saturday, May 2, 2009

Food and nourishment

Next week I'm starting an 8 week class titled: Intuitive Eating. I started exploring the whole idea of conscious eating (and not dieting) last year in a 4 week workshop led by the same people, and it was pretty radical stuff (at least for a woman who has dieted off and on for about 30+ years). Here are the basic principles:

  • Dieting does not work. It is counterintuitive to how our biology is wired. Denying ourselves food creates cravings, preocupation with food, and doesn't actually result in sustainable weight loss.
  • The key is to tune into to our body's cues around hunger and satisfaction. For chronic dieters, these cues are often...shall we say...pretty messed up.

The book that lays all this out is titled...Intuitive Eating, and I've found it a hard read, since I feel like I'm reading my own story of struggle around food. A love/hate relationship that was nutured by diets and a society that is obsessed with thinness.

I'll be sharing what I'm learning and thinking during the course of the 8 weeks. Here is the link to the folks who are offering these workshops: http://www.benourished.org/

1 comment:

  1. Rational relationship with food? What would that be like exactly?
    I was talking with Nanci about that the other day: my relationship with food.
    I said, "If I had a relationship with a person that was like my relationship with food... Hmmm... Have you ever read The Giving Tree???"
    All take-take-take!!!
    I wish you the best of luck with this class and look forward to hearing all about it!
    ~A

    ReplyDelete