Monday, May 25, 2009

My garden update


Foxglove ready to bloom...I've got them replanted all over the garden.



"Don Juan" climbing rose is blooming!




Strawberries!



Habanero and cayenne chiles and basil



Tomatoes, chiles, basil, kale in rows....


So enough about the lovely gardens in DC, there is SO much going on in our garden right now. After being away a week I was stunned to see all the Dutch irises had bloomed. Wow. The new roses have buds opening, but we did lose one plant to some mysterious malady. Sniff. I take any plant failure personally. Still. The bearded irises are still flowering, and the veggies are taking off. While I was away, Fede and Gladys ate their way through the kale and chard, which makes me so happy. I am always in search of ways to get her to enjoy vegetables.

We spent a few hours working the garden together, weeding, watering, planting the tomato, chile and basil starts Debbie gave us a few weeks ago. I still need to get the pumpkins in the ground.

I got to meet a couple more friendly neighbors thanks to the garden. It is such fun to connect with people over plants and growing things. People who like to garden and approach us are always super friendly and complimentary (not all neighbors are like this, fyi...some of the dog-walkers are rather anti-social and distant). The nicest people like to garden. Smile.

My big experiment right now is propagating lavender! I have a row of beautiful healthy lavender plants (7 different varieties...all shades of purple) and want to grow both replacements and gifts for friends. I did some research on the Internet and found a couple of good sites, including one with fabulous step by step photos. Bought some perlite and had some rooting hormone already. I've got 8 starts in the kitchen, and they look ok (i.e. they are not dead). Fingers crossed that they make it! It is very exciting, and I'm determined to turn myself into an urban lavender grower. I adore that plant, and I think everyone needs one in their garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment