Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Travails of a gardener

Having a garden requires a fair amount of slowing down and noticing what is happening. Sometimes it is not good, although most of the time it is lovely.

Right now I'm facing two dilemmas. The tomato starts are going yellow. It is not looking good, and I'm busy on the Net trying to find some explanations. That is almost like trying to self-diagnose an illness through Google, but hey, it's interesting. I think we might have over watered them, and hopefully they will pull through. I'll keep you all posted.

My other challenge is the attack of the rose aphids. It is an infestation of these little bugs that suck the life out of the beautiful rose buds. I went to the nursery and pumped the helpful lady at Garden Fever for advice. Rinse them off, crush them, and keep at it. If it doesn't take care of the problem, buy ladybugs. I also picked up fertilizer for roses (I now have a crazy variety of fertilizers...for citrus, for veggies, for bulbs, for roses....Lordy!).

No comments:

Post a Comment