Monday, May 11, 2009

Eat your cherries!

I am just loving Barbara Kingsolver's book right now. It's a bit uncanny how how much our thinking is aligned around gardening/farming/eating. I love her stories of plant starts everywhere, seed catalog browsing in January, getting kids to try new vegetables, etc. It makes me want to invite her over for tea and a tour of the garden.

Here is a snippet that I just love, maybe because as a Catholic we are taught to deny ourselves the things we long for/lust (oh, lust is a sin all on its own, no?). So the mantra to eat cherries sounds very good to my ears.

“In Nikos Kazantzakis’s novel, Zorba the Greek, the pallid narrator frets a lot about his weaknesses of the flesh. He lies awake at night worrying about the infinite varieties of lust that call to him from this world; for example, cherries. He’s way too fond of cherries. Zorba tells him, Well then, I’m afraid what you must do is stand under the tree, collect as big a bowl full, and stuff yourself. Eat cherries like they’re going out of season.”

1 comment:

  1. I started this book (didn't get to finish it before it was due) and totally thought of you and Gladys and what an amazing gift of gardening you are giving her!

    ReplyDelete