Sunday, May 10, 2009

Guajillo roasted chicken coming

I'm always looking for new ways to prepare the workhorses of our diet, i.e. roasted chicken is one such dish. We make a lovely sage and garlic roast chicken which everyone loves, but after you've eaten a zillion times..... Since Federico goes through hot sauce like water, I'm looking for a way to incorporate chiles into a recipe, so he isn't dousing the food with hot sauce.

Today I'm making a homemade guajillo chile sauce adapted from Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen cookbook, as a marinade for a whole chicken that is thawing right now. I threw in a roasted ancho chile to put my own stamp on it. Traditional Mexican chile sauces involve quite a few steps, which are intimating for most novices. You've got to remove the stems and seeds, roast, soak, puree, strain and then cook/reduce. It is not as bad as it sounds. Really, truly.

Stay tuned for photos and feedback on how it turned out later.

No comments:

Post a Comment