Saturday, May 9, 2009

More blooming


Here is a rhodie under planted with heliotropes, which will get big and grow luscious scented purple flowers. These plants are on the side of the house, entry to the patio. I like the idea that you are always greeted with lovely aromas as you move around the garden. Especially when you are near the compost pile, which sometimes is a bit stinky.

I've moved some new lettuce seedlings (planted from seed) to a shadier spot on the side of the house. I hope that they will be producing lettuce without going to seed come the warmer months.



This is the sunny front bed where I planted lettuce and chard seeds and have garlic growing. This spot is really too sunny and hot for lettuce come July, hence I'm moving them out. This bushy little plant is rue, which will get very tall. Rue is widely used in Mexican traditional healing. It is an edible herb that tastes bitter, and I like it. A cilantro plant has self-seeded in this area last year, and I'm busy moving the little seedlings around the garden.



Rhodie and Negrita purple tulips, which are still going strong after more than a month of blooming, some heavy rain showers and winds. I love these guys. Tough as nails for tulips.




Lovely new bearded irises that I was gifted this year. Note the lovely row of lavender mulched with gravel behind them. They get huge. More purple. New dahlias are staked, and no sign of vegetation yet. More purple flowers and some orange ones to contrast. Oh yes. Did I mention I love purple?




1 comment:

  1. Hi Mija,
    Dad & I just saw all the beatiful flowers and plants you have. Beautiful!! was your Dad's comments. They show lots of love & work. Dad said to keep all those beautiful pictures coming. You are a true gardener.

    ReplyDelete