Saturday, May 30, 2009

Beets beets

I love beets.

Maybe I'm a bit weird, but this a vegetable I discovered in adulthood and loved straightaway. It's beautiful, sweet, and nutritious.

Now I know it is easy to grow too.

We've got heirloom "Bull's Blood" beets, which are growing mainly for their greens. I've just harvested some for today's lunch and am surfing for recipes. One of the most unusual ways I've eaten beets is in a smoothie called the "Vampiro" in Mexico. It was divine!

In the end we ate most of today's harvest chopped as a pizza topping. We made some wonderful homemade pizza with Gladys, her best friend Sabri and her mom. We also got the girls to harvest lettuce and spinach for a salad, along with edible flowers. It was a scrumptious salad! Best of all, these were painless ways to get them to eat their veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment