Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Experimenting in the kitchen

So I'm working my way through "In Defense of Food," and it is a bit startling to think that the diabetes that has ravaged my family has as much to do with colonization, immigration and the industralization of our food supply as genes. Every morsel you put in your mouth has a story....about capitalism, culture....this book could make me more neurotic about food than I am already. Having said all that, I highly recommend it. I love the bit about how the health of the earth/dirt is reflected in the nutrient values of the food it supports. All the things I have to learn about gardening.

Having said that, I'm trying out an experiment with the rice cooker....brown rice, some collards from the garden, chopped onions and jalapeno, salt. I'm looking for a healthy, easy, portable lunch dish....With a garden full of greens I'm still finding ways to avoid them. How can this be? I admit I could happily subsist on chocolate. What kind of confession is that for a vegetable gardener???

3 comments:

  1. I wish I had the courage to read that book - it sounds like it would freak me out!!!
    Would like to know how you like the rice cooker. Would it be a good investment to make brown rice for Dad?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the rice cooker, because you can not ruin rice with it. But since he is a diabetic rice (even brown rice) is something that he needs to eat sparingly. If you want to make rice often and easily I would say get it. We got ours at Costco.

    ReplyDelete
  3. About the book....I would really urge you and anyone who has "food issues" to read it. Food issues means that you are junk food junkie, have a disease that is related to diet/lifestyle...I think it is very helpful to have someone explain why our bodies work the way they do, how farming and food contributes or doesn't to our health....I think that all doctors should read it, so they can get the big picture. It is more than just your sugar levels, duh!

    ReplyDelete