Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Greens, oh fabulous greens!


Listening to "In Defense of Food" chapters talking about how important it is that humans eat leaves has made me look at my daily diet and my garden and say....harvest and cook! [in the photo you can see the very spinach, plus a row of chard and brussel sprouts in its formative stage]

Today I went into the yard and got a big bowlful of spinach to go along with our salmon. It cooked up fast, and Federico loved it. I also threw in some of those garlic flowers....they have this soft garlic flavor that you can eat raw, which I can't say about garlic.

Then I turned to the collards, which I planted ALOT of in the garden. I think I was inspired by Yam Yams, the local BBQ joint on MLK that has awesome greens that I adore. I had visions of eating their greens this summer, but getting to skip the wait at the restaurant.

Ok, so I finally nailed a good greens recipe, my own invention, but based on reviewing a lot of greens recipes and eating a fair amount. Quantities are totally estimated:

Several fresh collard leaves, chopped.
White onion chopped (to taste)
Jalapeno chopped
salt and pepper
a splash of apple cider vinegar
1 strip of turkey bacon
saute all this in a bit of olive oil and a splash of water for 25 minutes or so. Cover on a low heat.
At end add some agave syrup (this is an important step, it softens the vinegar taste. Recipes and people I've talked to say to add sugar, fyi)

This is as good as Yam Yams!

No comments:

Post a Comment