Monday, June 22, 2009

The summer of endless greens

Gazing at the lovely rows of collards and rainbow chard, I'm realizing that no matter how much we eat of this stuff there is more to harvest. A lot more. I need to come up with new and exciting ways to use these veggies. I've done traditional Southern greens, greens tucked into empanadas, eggs, stir-frys, soups. Short of sticking into desserts, greens are folded into every dish I make, because we've got so much.

This is not a bad problem to have. Michael Pollan pointed out that we humans need to eat more leaves, less meat and seeds (see wheat and its by products).

I didn't grow up eating this stuff, so I've certainly had to learn how to prepare them, and I suspect I've got more to learn. I'm thinking about a frittata with greens from Mollie Katzen's cookbook. I need ideas and inspiration.

Lord help me when it is time to harvest broccolli. It is almost time for that. Oh, did I mention it is garlic harvest time too?

No comments:

Post a Comment