Friday, January 9, 2009

Flowers heal


Here is another useful tidbit of info from Dr. Andrew Weil's update. One of the things I did before my surgery was to pick up a couple of lovely bouquets to adorn the bedroom and bathroom (the 2 rooms I could be confined to and still pretty much am).

All studies aside, I know that my own psyche is boosted enomously by beautiful flowers and would help give me a pleasing vocal point to look while laying in bed and in pain during those first days post-op. Nice to see that researchers validated what I knew already. Co-workers, my neighbor and family have continued to help keep our bedroom filled with flowers over these past 5 weeks. Thank you!

Flowers Speed Recovery from Surgery
By sending blooming plants to hospitalized friends and relatives you may be doing more good than you thought: a new study suggests that post-surgery patients recover more quickly if they have flowering plants in their rooms. A study published in the October 2008 issue of HortTechnology found that patients who had plants in their rooms needed less pain medication, had lower blood pressure and heart rate, less pain, anxiety and fatigue and were more satisfied with their recovery than similar patients who had no plants in their hospital rooms.


Photo of native trillium flower taken by yours truly.

No comments:

Post a Comment