Monday, January 5, 2009

Sparrow and other gifts

So our Monday routine is a romantic shower together, followed by eating breakfast and then heading to the doctor's office.

Yes, he made me cry. I was warned by his assistant, took my advil, and he pushed my toe to a 90 degree angle. I was grabbing the seat with tears in my eyes. The doctor explained that I need to be more aggressive in my ROM. Way, way more. So we came home and got very no-nonense with the toe. The doc explained I have a 2 week window to get ROM, and then things stiffen up. So I am more motivated to push myself or rather to push my toe harder.

I had my phone meeting, watched the birds happily eating at our feeders, then watched Oprah beat herself up about regaining the weight (painful), and took a nap.

I'm glad that I don't have a TV upstairs and can hardly wait until TV goes digital, and we are unable to get any TV signal. I've been toying with the idea of not having a TV for a long long time. I like watching DVDs, and that is its main function in the house. Since I can do the same on the laptop and digital TV is around the corner I am really thinking about ditching the box. Gladys will freak. No Saturday cartoons. I know she'll get over it, but I remember how TV-crazed I was at her age. I also loved McDonalds and Cap'n Crunch. It is good to notice that I've kicked some addictions.

Cool thing for today was that there is this adorable sparrow that is nesting in a bush in our front yard. I figured this out through my keen powers of observation that are honed by being essentially forced to spend hours in one place with my foot up. The same bird has been observed on various days perched on this bush, and I'm thinking, this is very unusual to see the same bird in the same place more than one day. Then after watching him for a LONG time he ducks inside the bush and vanishes. I think s/he has a nest inside. It is a prime location. Within a couple of feet of 2 feeders and a bird bath, right in the middle of a chemical free garden full of a zillion bugs and plants that are often left to go to seed. I can't think of a better place to raise a family. I'm all excited we might have baby birds in our front yard in the spring. Gladys will be thrilled, just like I am.

One of the unexpected gifts of having a child in your life is that you get to introduce them to the magical things that our planet offers. You get to see it from their eyes. I've introduced her to the magic of planting seeds and nuturing plants to harvest, watching birds from our front window, to libraries, to horseback riding, beachcombing, making pizza dough from scratch.

1 comment:

  1. I found a lot of connection in this post. I haven't dealt with the switch to digital TV either. I honestly don't think we'd miss it. Each spring we have a little nest of house sparrows on our back patio. It's a wonder and a delight. I was reading something recently about how it's useful to have a child-like perspective on things (not to be confused with childish) because it helps bring you back to earth and see a situation for what it really is and not through the lens of your experience. You're right: Children bring many gifts.

    ReplyDelete