Friday, January 23, 2009

Friday's chi

I've only had a 4 day work week, and I'm feeling pretty tired. I think it has to do more with my woeful lack of exercise than my foot, which feels fine most of the time. I hardly ever have any pain. Sometimes I have to resist the urge to walk without crutches. It kinda reminds of those movies where the crippled person casts aside their crutches and proclaims they are healed. Or maybe that was the Bible.

Today I went for my physical therapy evaluation, and he promises to have me on the exercise bike on Monday, boot and all. The PT says that the activity will help me heal quicker. At the end of the day Fede and I went for acupuncture and then went to get Gladys. We all went out for dinner at Pho An, and she liked the food....nothing like a bowl of chicken pho to make the world right. It was a really diverse crowd for Portland. The staff barely speak English, there were Vietnamese folks eating, gringos, us, and a couple of African-American folks. Each table a different shade of human.

We got home and scrambled into our PJs and into bed. She grabbed her girly manga and said with a deep smile "I love to read." She also announced she wanted to go to the library to get more books this weekend....It made me smile; I'd like to think that is my influence...years of reading to her and taking her to the library. She never even asked to open the computer to play games, which she often does.

I still need to do my ROM, and I'm also going to moxa my foot. Moxa is a Chinese medicine practice of burning a stick of herbs (formed into a thick incense-like tube) over the meridians. It's a warm and relaxing sensation, and it smells good, in an herby way. It moves around the stagnant blood and gets the chi going. If this is all Greek to you, get thee to an acupuncturist! I've got a couple of books on Chinese medicine out from the library, because I want to better understand the concept of Chi or energy, which is the principle of Chinese medicine.

I personally think that my regular acupuncture sessions helped play a role in my rapid healing, as did the massages.

1 comment:

  1. I have no experience to support acupuncture, but my own sessions at the PT have turned me very much in favor of massage. All about blood flow. Energy flow follows. Glad you're healing nicely.

    ReplyDelete