Monday, February 2, 2009

Music of the heart

Researchers at the University of Maryland, in Baltimore, showed for the first time that positive emotions aroused by joyful music have a favorable effect on the endothelium.

"We believe that the brain plays a pivotal role in vascular health," lead author Dr Michael Miller said. "High cholesterol and high blood pressure are very important, but some individuals lacking these risk factors develop significant heart disease, and that may be partly related to their response to stress."

If music can evoke positive emotions to counteract negative stresses of everyday life, it could have a very important influence on vascular health, he said. "It should be incorporated into a healthy lifestyle, just as we might incorporate other healthy habits."


How cool that something so fun and easy is good for you. My playlists as stress-relieving medicine. Crank up your favorite song on the stereo. FYI, this new playlist has a real diverse mix from all over the planet, so explore. A few of the songs were recommendations from a NYT blog of music people listen to when they need inspiration and hope. Most are just selections of my favorite groups...

Here is the citation if you want to see the research for yourself:

Marlene Busko. Music, like laughter, benefits heart health . theheart.org. [Clinical Conditions > Clinical cardiology > Clinical cardiology]; Nov 14, 2008. Accessed at http://www.theheart.org/article/921307.do on Jan 13, 2009

2 comments:

  1. Great to know!
    I always feel like I don't listen to enough music ... especially after a great song and dancing in my living room, I think as I pant with a smile on my face, "Why don't I do this more often?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I listen to music all the time. Keep it on in my classroom, iTunes runs when I'm on the computer... and what confirmation to hear Los Lobos' Saint Behind the Glass from your playlist when I read this entry: one of my favorite all-time songs.

    ReplyDelete