Monday, February 16, 2009

Unsung heroines

When people ask me why did I become a librarian, I point to my mom, who made sure I grew up reading and hanging out in libraries, the equivalent of the candy store for me. The second most influential person was my school librarian, Sister Saint Edmund. When I was in grade school she was already "old" - a full head of white hair, a bit bent over, like a grandmother.

She was the welcoming nun who nutured my love of reading by introducing me to Caldecott and Newberry award-winning books and having me join a "Great Books" book discussion group that I loved. She treated me with respect and had high expectations, mixed with affection.

Once I moved away I kept in touch through letters, and eventually her letters stopped. She had passed away, and another sister finally wrote me to tell me the news. I remember how sad I felt, that I never got a chance to see her again.

I think she'd be very happy that I became a librarian and nuture reading in children too.

Here is a NYT video about another stellar school librarian and the impact these unsung heros make in the lives of children.


http:://video.nytimes.com/video/2009/02/15/arts/1194837851726/the-twenty-first-century-librarian.html?th&emc=th

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for any small part I had for you to become a librian. I remember Sister Saint Edmund too. I saw the video about the NY school librian too & will share w/the school libraian at Ft Lowell scool where I tutor. As Robert Michael & Xandar know, the library is Grandma's favoriate place.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete