Thursday, February 12, 2009

Kale chips!

I'm exploring new and kinda weird ways to get more veggies (esp. greens) in my diet. Today I tried a new recipe for kale chips from a Mollie Katzen cookbook I've had for years (and frankly have underutilized). They came out pretty good. Crispy and baked for 15 minutes at 350 degrees - it can't much easier than that. I could see them sprinkled with chili flakes or a bit of cheese (if I was doing dairy, but I'm not)....

I've got a spinach soup lined up for tomorrow from the same cookbook, and a great spinach dip recipe from New Seasons that I made vegan with tofu sour cream. Great with rice crackers or chopped veggies or bread (if you were eating it, which I'm not). Sprinkled on top of a soup would be delish.

We took a class on the anti-inflammatory diet this week at New Seasons, offered by their lead nutritionist. It was packed full with a lot of great info, some which was new to me. Crisco is EVIL. You should not cook at a high heat with olive oil. You can bake with olive oil instead of crisco. Lard is better than crisco. She handed out a folder full of info and an awesome 20% coupon for supplements.

A factoid I learned - you are supposed to eat 10 servings of fruits and veggies, and for an anti-inflammatory diet only 2-3 should be fruit. Average American only eats 1/2 serving of greens per day.

I confess that sometimes that average American is/was me. Argh.

1 comment:

  1. Seven- to eight-servings of veggies every day?! Yikes!!! I am totally busted.
    Okay, I'll work on that. I guess that means we really should have veggies in the frig, huh?
    Thanks for the factoid.
    ~A
    P.S. Me no likey the royal "we"... I or identify the other, please. Thx.

    ReplyDelete