Friday, February 27, 2009

Lent and Catholic guilt

So Lent started, and unfortunately I missed the boat, so to speak. I was on the other side of town for a meeting, went to the gym (got sweaty), and felt like it would be too uncouth to show up for Ash Wednesday in my gym attire. I kinda of feel like I'm confessing this...that powerful Catholic guilt phenomena at work.

So what is a Catholic to do, with Lent underway and not having started off on the right foot, so to speak?

I also am at a loss about what I should do/give up for Lent. Being more forgiving and less judgemental sounds like the place for me, but it is too hard. Like starting off with running a marathon rather than walking a mile.

Little sis is giving up electronic communication, which seems like an impossible thing. Ridiculous even. I'm not God cares whether I blog or not. IMHO.

Ok, let me list all the hard things that seem...beyond me:

1. Forgiving everyone I'm pissed with right now.
2. Not eating chocolate or sugar for 40 days.
3. No lies, esp. little white ones.
4. Being patient with others.

1 comment:

  1. Lent is just a few days old so don't let your missing ashes stop you from "doing something" for Jesus who loves you so much. I wish I had sent you the Little Book for Lent. It is wonderful and so helpful. You probably can do the daily reading on the Internet. For me the hardest thing is to love myself. Can't do it. Trying to go to daily mass is a goal for me also. Visiting some shut-in friends too. Asking for God's help to accept your Dad's illness is another step I am trying to achieve. The list goes on & on.
    I don't think God cares if your younger sister gives up electronics for Lent. You miss the point. She cares about her giving up electronics because she enjoys being on the computer so much.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete