Thursday, February 19, 2009

Thursday sniffles

Well, it's been a bit since I shared an update on the Foot, so here it goes. My doctor visit this Monday was tough. The doc is not pleased with my range of motion and reduced me to tears by bending my toe beyond what I could bear. I was imploring him to stop, begging really....and he didn't stop. I've decided that he's modeling some tough love approach (either that or I should stop working with him, though it is rather too late for that). He could also just be an asshole. I have no point of comparison, as this is my first surgery and real interaction with a surgeon. Maybe they are all like this?

I haven't been as diligent in doing my ROM - work, doing my PT, going to the gym.....you know, all the usual excuses. So I've recommitted myself to doing the ROM and broken them into 2x a day so I can truly get in the 1000 repetitions.

Besides that he made it clear that some pain was a good thing, so that when I'm on the elliptical at an incline and it hurts I need to keep at it. My toe needs to bend and hurt. Lovely. I had been avoiding pain, but clearly I'm on the wrong page.

So I'm carving out time in the morning and evening for this, on top of walking about a mile up a hill a few days a week, plus gym visits and PT. I definitely notice I'm getting stronger and quicker on my feet, but still have a way to go to "normal." However I'm so happy to be walking mainly pain-free that I'm not going to be greedy. Walking is a HUGE friggin' thing.

To top this off, I've caught a bug and am feeling crappy right now. So I skipped the gym tonight and am going to turn in early.

I did have a pretty brilliant day at work today, so there is a residual buzz in spite of this cold and the Foot. At least my brain is operating at full tilt.

Side note: one of my co-workers made me the sweetest of gifts....she knitted me mittens with an Emily Dickinson poem knitted into the mittens. She knows I like her poetry (I mentioned this ONCE). I don't know that I've ever had someone be so thoughtful and work so hard in creating a gift for me (aside from my parents, of course, who have given me so many remarkable gifts....favorite handmade gifts - mom made me a sweet sweater with bunnies on it, and dad a fab tree house). There is something about gifts made by some one's two hands.

I'm so excited tomorrow is Friday, and we get to enjoy the light that is Gladys for a few days.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, so I totally want to punch your doctor in the nose! Don't mess with my sister!!!
    That whole "Pain is Good" thing does not resonate with me... mostly because, in my limited experience, it leads to injury. However, you started off injured, so I don't really know how that works.
    I am glad that work is going well... and very cool about the mittens. Amazing.
    I hope you feel better & am proud of you for turning in early. Rest and fluids: the best medicine! =]
    Loves!
    ~A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I was going to comment about how your sister Ana avoids pain, too, but she beat me to it. About your surgeon: isn't the first line of the Hippocratic Oath something like, "First, do no harm?" I don't think he's sadistic or anything, just wanting you further on the healing road than you're traveling now. I had some PT late last year (for nothing as severe as your surgery, mind) and found that I really started seeing results once I committed to diligence in the prescribed exercise department. Commit yourself to your ROM and PT, and you'll see results. You're doing all the right things, just maybe do more of them ;-)

    ReplyDelete