Monday, February 16, 2009

Garden stuff

The weather has been awesome (for a Portland winter, ok?)...and so I had to get a bit of gardening in.

I've got a couple of small plots of garlic and read that they like to be amended with blood meal at this time of year. There are small little green shoots coming up, and so I went off to our wonderful local nursery Garden Fever to get advice and blood meal (I don't know exactly what this comes from, but I suspect it is....blood). I went off and scratched it around all the garlic, which gave me a chance to notice where all the bulbs are peaking up. This is the exciting antsy time of the year, when things are on the verge of blooming, but not quite yet.

Federico transplanted some strawberries that I had packed into a pot over a year ago. They need more space, and we need the strawberries.

Besides all that, we've got a new squirrel-proof bird feeder that I adore. The birds are more visible on these perches, and we've gotten lots of birds visiting the feeder...

I promise to take pictures of the bulbs when they bloom. Look forward to many colors of tulips, crocus, daffodils, hyacinth, and some others I don't know how to spell. We might have a small garden, but I have packed it full.

Oh, I also went to Costco with Debbie and got more bulbs to plant - hostas and tuberose. I couldn't resist getting the fragrant beautiful tuberose, although I don't really need more fragrant sun-loving bulbs in the front yard. I'll do a whole post on all the fragrant plants in the garden.

1 comment:

  1. Look at you!
    Gardening, Shopping... You're, like, almost 100% back!

    ReplyDelete