Sunday, February 22, 2009

Rude dog people

I've tried to refrain from using this blog to air my "issues," except when talking about big topics and events, like politics or economics.

However today while Gladys and I were hanging out at Alberta Park I encountered this incredibly rude woman with a small yapping dog, who proceeded to jump on me and bark. I'm afraid of dogs and stopped in my tracks, and then asked her to get her dog off of me/under control. She snapped at me and cooed at her dog to come to her (which he continued to ignore her and jump/snarl at me). I then insisted that she restrain her dog. She got mad at me and told me to "Go!" I retorted back that she needed to keep her dog on a leash if she couldn't control it and move it herself. Now the whole time she's pushing a jogging stroller encased in plastic wrap (I think there was a kid in there) and talking on her cell (which is probably why the whole dog/master communication thing wasn't happening). I've had this happen before, but the dog owners apologize when their dog starts to bark (let alone jump). Astute owners even pick up when someone (i.e. me) is nervous or frightened of dogs and reassure me that the dog is friendly, etc. etc.

No such luck with clueless cell-phone momma.

It highlights the much discussed arrogance of dog-owners here in PDX, who often think that 1. everyone likes dogs like they do 2. dogs have the run of public spaces (as if my body is a public space). It has surfaced in community conversations in this part of town around gentrification and tensions that dogs symbolize between African-Americans (who have traditionally lived in NE Portland) and White people (who have moved in and brought their dogs).

I was really glad that Gladys was playing far off on the jungle gym, as I was making my loop around the park. Too bad the baby encased in plastic had to witness her snarling momma and pet in action.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    Dad & I just read many of your blogs. Regarding the fear of dogs, he remembered how a dog attacked you and Nanci when you were walking to Our Lady of Loretto school & both of you screaming. I think you were 7 years old. He suggested that you carry a whistle & blow it hard when a dog comes anywhere near you.
    Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete