Sunday, April 26, 2009

Earth day every day

One of the things I think North Americans are learning (and will continue to learn) is that our over-consumption of resources is killing us. Killing the environment and our pocketbooks.

Long before the Crisis, I was not a big shopper and avoided shopping malls. I dipped into thrift shops because I saw my ex-husband have a really nice warerobe that didn't look second-hand.

Over a year ago we went to one monthly garbage pickup to see how much we could reduce and recycle, and it's been working out really well. We've increased our bulk foods shopping to reduce the wasteful packaging that can fill up a garbage can really fast. We also compost our kitchen waste, which helps us manage only one pretty small container of garbage for 2.5 people.....

Increasing shopping at thrift shops makes sense for the wallet and the environment. Rather than have resources used to make new things, why not see if there is a used item that can meet your needs?

The areas we need to work on is walking and biking more to reduce our use of the car, and frankly I love long hot showers and the heat during cold days. I haven't gone so far as to deny myself that....

I think it makes sense to think about the Earth (and our family's economy) everyday, not just on Earth Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment