Thursday, April 23, 2009

What I'm reading


Seen the movie "The Whale Rider"? I saw several years back when it came out, with my now ex-husband. I loved the story, the acting (especially the lead actress) and the hopeful message of both cultural survival and forgiveness. I remember that when I found out it was a book I thought, I want to read it...but then I forgot to pursue it further.

Today at the library I came upon the audiobook version, read by a Maori actor. I'm so excited. Christmas in April!

I'm curious to see the differences between the lyrical film and book, and whether the book is better (99% of the time it is).

Here is some background on the novel:

The Whale Rider (1987) was written in New York and Cape Cod in the space of three weeks. A magical, mythical work about a young girl whose relationship with a whale ensures the salvation of her village, it is, says Ihimaera, the work of his ‘that the Maori community accepts best’.

No comments:

Post a Comment