Sunday, April 26, 2009

Hanging out to dry

On the Earth Day theme, we've been line-drying out clothes for about a year now. Granted in rainy PDX you do need to succumb to the dryer when it is pouring out....but we aim for as much line-drying as possible.

I LOVE the way clothes smell when they are dried outside....no comparison. Ditto for loving the electric bill when we are line-drying. No comparison on that either. We always dried out clothes outside in AZ, where you could have a load of towels bone dry in 20 minutes.

There is even a non-profit advocating line-drying of clothes, check it out if you want to get motiviated! http://www.laundrylist.org/


I'm a bit worried about how we can coexist with the nesting chickadees, but I think we can do it. I see the bird(s) daily flying in and out of their house. I've got a bunch of kid books on nesting birds so that Gladys and I can read up on what is going on in that birdhouse.

Latest update: I think they abandoned their nest. :( Too much activity in the patio, I think. Next time we'll have to have a hiatus on line-drying and re-route our garbage take-out route. Drastic measures, but if you want to have nesting birds.....

No comments:

Post a Comment