Sunday, April 5, 2009

Red letter day

Another fantastic sunny day. Totally beautiful.

We came back from Mass and did a massive planting of veggie starts. Beets, broccolli, brussel sprouts, kale, collards, watercress. We are going to be eating a lot of greens this summer and fall. Gladys was great - she watered, dug holes, planted, and was all around helpful. This whole thing is a big lesson in patience. I guess the full-time parents reading this would be laughing, because I know that parenting = a test of your patience. I'm very task-oriented and impatient, which are not good qualities when teaching a child how to garden. I'm amazed how much she retains of the various things I've taught her about gardening and plants over the years. One question she popped out with as we were planting was: "What do you like best - reading or gardening?" I was stumped to really answer it. I told her it was a tie.

Then we rode our bikes to see Debbie and her dogs (Gladys adores dogs). I haven't ridden my bike in probably 4 years, and Gladys has been imploring me for that entire time w/o success. Until today. She wore me down. Smile.

It was fun, fast, and not too uncomfortable for my toe. I was really proud of myself. We were talking about biking to church. I see all kinds of possibilities to liberate us (esp. me from the car).

Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment